Ok, those of you who know me know that my life is all about politics. And while this blog is not political at all, I feel the need to dip my toe in the political pool just a little. I promise I will be gentle.
As my friend and I were chatting about my encounter with the matchmaker, she mentioned to me a recent article she came across. The article said that in the world of online dating, black women are the least desired according to a user poll. Interesting. Being a black woman, apparently I'm screwed. Well, technically I'm not, and that's what the problem is.
What makes black women the least desired? Could it be our strength? Our beauty? Our beautiful skin or our luscious bodies? I don't want to toot the collective black horn, but that sounds pretty good to me. Unfortunately, I think its our attitude, our big asses, our employment status (obviously unemployed), our many babies. Wait, what, you mean those are stereotypes? Fuck yes they are and these are only some of the reasons why black women are at the bottom of the dating barrel.
You know what makes this even more fucked up? Is that black men don't even want us anymore. And that is coming strictly from a self loathing of our culture, the fact that light/white is right in society and therefore more desired.
I'm not closed to the idea of dating someone outside of my race, but I am most attracted to black men. How does that work if they don't want me (or us)- or that no race wants me (or us)?
There's no way I can resolve this. It's beyond my expertise, and definitely beyond my comprehension (although being black for the past 35 years I've dealt with this in EVERY arena of my life, not just dating). But it was on my mind and I felt the need to let it out.
Stepping off my virtual soap box now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment