Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Blame Game

What the fuck. I am mad by George! I just got off the phone with my girlfriend and we were discussing a mutual friends' situation with some dude. The skinny of it is that they had a date and he had a senior moment and forgot. So rather than try to make it up to her by offering to try again, he came at her (via text, that's how trolls communicate) with the 'do you still have an attitude' route. Why are women the ones blamed for mens' fucked up ways?

Recently there's been some hub bub about Lori Gottlieb's new book, Marry Him: The Case for Settling for Mr. Right. The gist of this book puts the blame on women for our unreasonable standards that we are imposing on men' according to the book, our vision of the perfect man doesn't match reality. Show of hands, who has a list of unrealistic expectations that they refuse compromise on? I'll wait. Oh no one? That's right.

Women do want it all. Many of us want the fairy tale. Personally, my fairy tale involves a hot boy who owns summer house in Tuscany. But you know, just like women are not the emotional basket case men make us out to be, we are also not delusional. We know the difference between fantasy and reality. And while I would very much like to marry Robert Downey Jr., I'm not going to pass up a man because he's not him. Or doesn't have his bank account. Do you know how many times I've seen women passed up by men because they don't look like fuckin barbie? Never mind if they are smart, goal oriented, good family background, etc. Barbie doesn't exist. Yet are they being targeted in books for being too unrealistic?

Men can be dicks. Most don't want to grow up. And many have forgotten what it means to be a man. THAT'S why we're single. We're not single because we're holding out for the idea of Prince Charming from a Disney movie. I want MY prince charming, the man who makes me laugh, who can appreciate laying in bed late on the weekends, who's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but who's just perfect for me.

By the way, should Robert Downey Jr. (or his doppleganger) come across this blog, call me.

2 comments:

  1. OMG you totally nailed it with the "MY prince charming" thing. Honestly - we don't want THE prince charming - we want OUR prince charming. Maybe THE prince charming lives in a castle, is 6'2 and "has a body like arnold with a denzel face,' loves his mom but his woman more, is brilliant and witty, and of course, has a 9" schlong and knows how to use it....but every single woman i know has compromised that ideal and "settled" for her own prince charming. That book woulda made me so mad - esp if I paid good money for it!!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right, that shit still ticks me off when I think about it. I'm going to write my own book and point the blame where it belongs- on the balls- deficient men of the world.

    ReplyDelete