Monday, July 5, 2010

Desparation, table for one

There is this woman on my bus (no, this isn't code word for me), and one day as I got on the bus she was standing up talking to the bus driver. Now, I've watched her behavior before; she sits close to the front, sometimes she chuckles as his jokes (which I know are NOT funny), her body language is facing forward to him. She finally got the courage to ask him to a BBQ that coming Saturday. From my vantage point, it reeked of desperation. Is it assertiveness, or desperation?

Friends, magazines- whoever- always tell me to be more aggressive when it comes to men. And I understand that (although its not me), but when does it cross that line? He clearly has no interest in her. He acts ambivalent towards everyone who comes on the bus, that is, until he sees a cute young thing he wants to the get the attention of and then its 'top of the morning to ya', as he watches them walk to their seat in the bus mirror. And his response to her invitation was no different.

I applaud her for making the move, after all, she can always hope he gets transferred to another bus or take another one if he rejects her. But I could see from a mile away his lack of interest. Do women get to a point where our realities are skewed because we seek attention? I can say without question that mine has. I know I've put up with more from men in an effort to keep trying. I think I've even come close to being that girl, only I get a pretty quick sense of when someone isn't interested, or when I am not interested myself.

Whether or not today's man can even appreciate the ovaries it takes for a woman to make a move like that is uncertain. And where that line falls is also a little blurry. All I know is that I haven't seen her on that bus for some time now. Someone get that girl a double shot, I think she may be getting up a little earlier these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment