Someone else recently asked me a similar question, the infamous 'why are you single'? Which, I suppose if someone thinks I'm a great catch and I should be attached to someone by now I can appreciate it, but the obvious answer is I haven't found someone I'm compatible with. But there is another minor barrier. Its a phenomenon known as online ADD.
A guy reaches out and says hello, you exchange a few emails back and forth and then poof! He's gone. He's found something better, before he even knows whether you are a good match or not. Who does that? Have you ever found yourself in public, having a conversation with someone and in the middle they walk off? Not likely. So why does it happen online? I suppose its because there's no accountability, it's not 'real' per say, so no one feels obligated to say goodbye. And yet, that person keeps coming back to look at you, but doesn't even remember that just a week ago he dropped off the earth mid-sentence. There's the frequent online ADD'er, who pops in and pops out as if he never 'met' you the first time. I have one, and in fact I just got another email from him this morning with the same line he started out with two times before. He doesn't even remember we just had this conversation two weeks ago.
That's one of the challenges of online dating, not everyone is really serious, its like a slot machine and the game for some is to keep spinning/flipping for the jackpot. Chances are though, if you flip too fast you might have missed it.
No comments:
Post a Comment