Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Trol #6 22's

My mother implored me to join E-Harmony. I was against it because they have shitty values when it comes to same sex couples which is just plain whack. I have to wonder if their 29 dimensions were tested on people of color too but I'll stay off my political soap box for the time being. Needless to say I joined, moms know best as they say so why not?

I found that most people on the site either didn't pay or didn't have a photo, so easily 1/2 my matches were a no go. With a few candidates I made it to the 'communication' stage but by that point they lost interest before finding out anything more and never communicated. But one guy caught my eye so I initiated communication. In hindsight I recognize that he was so not my type, but I can't resist a guy in glasses. Plus he had some interesting things to say in his profile so I thought I would take a chance. He was very responsive which was a good sign, and within a week we made it to the open communication stage. We traded some emails back and forth (doesn't this story sound familiar?) and eventually exchanged numbers.

We talked a couple of times a day. But I quickly began to realize it was because he found HIMSELF so interesting. I'm a pretty simple girl. I don't like a lot of flash, I don't go gaga over labels (although some designers couture and non couture alike have incredible style), its just not me. He was my polar opposite (I suppose his flashy bama-esque Ed Hardy shirt he was wearing in his profile pic should have been a sign but those things are normally correctable). In our first conversation he told me about his $157 dollar pair of jeans. Really? Weird. He was also really, really, REALLY enamored by his truck. I believe it was our second or 3rd conversation that was primarily about his truck. His 22 inch rims, blah blah barf. Now, it was a good thing he didn't know me because he would have recognized my line of questioning right away to be total sarcasm. Are men really in love with their equipment like that? I mean their tangible equipment. I was so turned off/grossed out by that. Strike number 3 was when he was going on and on about watching BET and a 'yo mama' contest where I white boy from southern MD was 'straight given it to em son!'. Ver batim.

Thankfully I recognized this connection for what it was before we went out- a missed one. By a good 22 inches at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment